Lawyers Explain What You Should Know About Livonia District Court
The 16th District Court in Livonia, MI is one of the busiest courts in the Detroit area, handling more than 5,000 speeding tickets and thousands of other traffic violations every year.
Livonia District Court Online Traffic Ticket Services
In an attempt to streamline the process, in 2016 the 16th District Court launched a program allowing drivers with certain citations to resolve their cases on the internet. A portal is available on the Court’s website where the driver can enter his or her information, and in many cases, a conclusion can be reached without needing to go to court. There is also an option to make payments for fines that were determined at either informal or formal hearings. This option is not available for tickets or traffic offenses requiring a bond, which must be posted in person in cash, certified check or surety.
Why You Should NOT Pay a Livonia District Court Traffic Ticket Online
Avoiding the crowded Livonia 16th District Court through the internet sounds like an attractive option. However, our lawyers suggest that there is a compelling reason why you may not want to pay your ticket online. In doing so, you are admitting responsibility for the violation. It is in essence another way of pleading guilty, and you will have no opportunity to fight your ticket to avoid applicable fines, penalties, fees and points.
Points on your driving record will likely result in an increase in your insurance rates. The increase will probably cost far more than the actual fine for your traffic ticket. And, if too many points are accumulated, the Michigan Secretary of State may review your license and possibly suspend it.
Our experienced Livonia District Court Traffic Lawyers recommend that you contact us to discuss your case as soon as you get your traffic ticket. In most cases, we can handle your traffic ticket without you having to take time off of work to go to the Livonia 16th District Court. We may suggest that you request a hearing at which we can typically negotiate your traffic ticket to a lesser charge and possibly even get it entirely dismissed with no points on your driver’s record.
Other Things to Know About the Livonia District Court
The Livonia District Court has a number of rules and regulations that you should be aware of.
- Anyone entering the 16th District Court is subject to a search of both their person and belongings.
- The 16th District Court has a strict dress code. If you are not dressed appropriately, the Judge will not see you. Clothing that is not allowed includes, for example, shorts, sleeveless shirts, tank tops, cut-offs, and hats/caps.
- Eating, drinking, chewing gum and smoking are all prohibited. You are not allowed to bring food or beverages into the courtroom.
- Young children are not allowed in the courtrooms during sessions without prior permission of the Judge or Magistrate.
- Don’t bring your cell phone into the courthouse (unless you are a licensed attorney or a police officer). If you do bring your cell phone into the courtroom, the judge may direct the bailiff to take it from you.
Livonia District Court Traffic Lawyers Beat Tickets
Our Livonia area traffic ticket lawyers are committed to offering you the most effective representation in your traffic ticket case, at the most affordable prices.
Our traffic lawyers have helped hundreds of people “beat” their tickets in the Livonia District Court. Your first telephone consultation is always FREE, so call today and see how our experienced 16th District Court traffic lawyer can help you.